Meatballs and Sunday Sauce:
1 pound ground lean beef
1 pound ground veal
1 pound ground pork (optional)
2 eggs – beaten
1/2 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano
1 cup chopped Italian parsley
6 cloves minced garlic
2 Tbls minced onion
Salt and pepper
1/4 cup – Dried sweet basil
1 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup milk
2 cup bread cubes (soak cubes in milk)
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1 cup olive oil
Rope or Link Hot or Sweet Sausage:
2 tbs Olive Oil
* IN A LARGE POT (POT THAT SAUCE WILL BE COOKED IN) ON MEDIUM HIGH HEAT – ADD OIL AND BROWN SAUSAGE ON BOTH SIDES.
* SET ASIDE UNTIL READY TO PUT IN SAUCE TO FINISH COOKING.
1 lb of piece’s beef – chunks – with or without bones (top round will work)
1 lb of piece’s pork chunks with or without bones OR (ribs)
1 lb hot or sweet Italian sausage (preferably rope sausage)
1/2 cup olive oil
4 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
1 cup fresh Basil
1/2 cup fresh oregano
2 tbs dried sweet basil
4 tablespoons tomato paste
1/4 cup water
3 (28-ounce) cans San Marzano plum tomatoes -(when placing in pot – squeezed with hands)
2 cup dry red wine
Salt and pepper
* Combine beef, optional veal, and pork in a large bowl. Add beaten eggs, cheese, parsley,basil, garlic, onions and salt and pepper to taste. Using your hands, combine ingredients. Add ricotta cheese, bread crumbs and bread crumbs soaked in milk to mixture. Slowly add water, 1/4 cup at a time, until mixture is moist.
* Shape meat mixture into balls, approximately 2 1/2 to 3-inch balls.
* In a large skillet, heat oil. The oil should be very hot, but not smoking.
* Place the meatballs in pan, and fry in batches.
* When the bottom half of meatball is browned and slightly crispy, turn over and cook top half.
* Remove from pan and let rest.
SUNDAY SAUCE: (GRAVY)
* In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and toss to coat with oil.
* Cook meat a few pieces at a time, about 5 minutes, until nicely browned on all sides. Remove meat from pan and set aside.
* Combine tomato paste and water and stir into oil. Stirring constantly, cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
* Add the tomatoes and juice,as well as all other ingredients except wine. Raise heat, and bring to a boil. Add two cups of red wine to sauce, and return to a boil.
* Add meat pieces to sauce to the sauce, and add salt and pepper, to taste. Bring to a boil and allow to boil for 2 minutes. Lower heat and partially cover pan. Cook for approximately 3 to 4 hours stirring occasionally until sauce is thick.
* One hour before sauce is ready, add sausage and meatballs.
* To serve: Remove meat from sauce. Serve sauce over pasta, and the meats on a separate platter.
CLASSIC ITALIAN SALAD WITH SIMPLE VINAIGRETTE:
* 1 Head of Romaine or Iceberg lettuce – chopped
* 2 cucumber – sliced
* 1 cup grape of cherry tomatoes
** Place all ingredients in a bowl
* 1/4 cup – red wine vinegar
* 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
* 1 tsp sugar
* 4 tbs parmesan cheese
* In a mixing Bowl – whisk vinaigrette ingredients together.
* Poor vinaigrette over salad mixture and toss gently to serve.
* 1 loaf of Italian of french bread
* 1 stick of butter melted
* 3 tbs Extra virgin olive oil
* 6 garlic cloves finely chopped
* 2 tbs garlic powder
* 1 cup grated cheese
* 1/4 fresh chopped parsley
* 2 tbs red pepper flakes
* Pre-heat oven on 350°F
* Slice loaf of bread down the entire center.
* In a sauce pan on low heat melt butter and oil – add in garlic.
* Cook for 4-5 minutes on low heat so that the garlic flavor marry’s into the butter and oil.
* Drizzle mixture on both sides of the interior of the sliced loaf of bread.
* Sprinkle the garlic powder, parsley, 1/2 cup of cheese and pepper flakes.
* Wrap in aluminum foil and cook for 5 minutes in oven.
* Now put oven on high broil, open foil, sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese on top of the loaf and broil for 3-4 minutes until slightly golden brown.
* Remove from oven, slice and serve.