Farmer’s Salad and Stove-top Clam Bake:
Farmers Salad Ingredients:
4 cups salad of choice
1 large tomato chopped
1 cucumber peeled in long strips
1 carrot shredded
1 red onion thinly sliced
1/4 white cabbage sliced thinly
1 large potato boiled and quartered
1/4 cauliflower cut into 1/4 inch pieces
1 large apple thinly sliced
6 asparagus spears cut in half
3 cups fresh baby spinach
1 cup shredded kale
1 hard-boiled egg sliced in quarters
1/2 cup hard cheese crumbled
3/4 cup olive oil
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp brown mustard
Pepper to taste
* In a large bowl, add salad, cabbage, spinach and kale – toss gently.
* Add in the rest of the Base ingredients except for asparagus, egg and cheese – toss gently.
* Top the salad base with the asparagus and cheese and hard boiled egg.
* In a mixing bowl, combine all Dressing ingredients and whisk for one full minute.
* Drizzle dressing on top of entire salad and serve.
Stove-Top Clam Bake Ingredients:
4 cups of beer
2 cups of cold water
12 garlic cloves peeled & left whole
6 yellow onions peeled and quartered
6 whole lemons wedged
2 dozen new potatoes, skin on & left whole
6 ears of corn
2 dozen cherry stone clams
2 dozen mussels
6 whole lobsters or lobster tails
2 dozen large shrimp, shells on
1 bunch chopped fresh parsley
2 lbs chorizo sausage (or sausage of choice)
2 tbsp Old Bay spice
2 sticks of butter
* Make sure that clams are tightly closed. If open – discard. Place cherry stones in a large bowl of cold water and swish them around to remove sand. when water is cloudy, transfer the clams to a second bowl of cold water. Continue repeating this cleaning process until water is clear.
* Make sure that mussels are tightly closed. If open – discard. Rinse mussels in cold water and remove the beards. You only have to rinse mussels once to clean because there is no sand in them.
* In a large stock pot, bring beer, water and butter to a rapid boil.
* Place 2 eggs on bottom of pot.
* Place garlic and onions in boiling water.
* Place potatoes in boiling water, cover pot and cook for 10 minutes.
* Add corn to pot, cover, and cook for another 5 minutes.
* Add clams and mussels to pot, cover, and cook for 5 minutes.
* Add lobster and shrimp – cook for 15 minutes or until shrimp is pink and lobster is a bright orange/red.
* Once lobster and shrimp have reached desired color, add sausage.
* Remove the two eggs, crack them open and if they are hard boiled the clam bake is done.
* Place all on a large platter, sprinkle chopped parsley and old bay seasoning.
* Serve with broth from the stock pot and melted butter or optional Service Sauce.
Optional Serving Sauce Ingredients:
1 cup melted butter
1 cup olive oil
1/2 cup freshly chopped parsley
4 garlic cloves
1/2 cup dry white wine
* Place in a blender of food processor and blend to a smooth consistency